Telecommunications industry institutions
TelSoc members and others are invited to contribute additional content to this page, which provides links (where available) to the history of important institutions within the Australian telecommunicatiosn industry.
1. Industry entities
Telstra/Telecom/PMG Research Laboratories (1923-2005)
See the historical items collected by former staff members here.
2. Industry Associations
- ACCAN: Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (since 15 October 2008)
- CommsAlliance : Communications Alliance (since 2006)
Past industry associations:
- ACIF: Australian Communications Industry Forum (1997-2006)
- ATUG: Australian Telecommunications Users Group (1981-2011)
- CTN: Consumers' Telecommunications Network (? - 2008)
- IIA: Internet Industry Assocation (1993-2013)
- NIIF: Network Interworking Industry Forum (199?-1997)
- SPAN: Service Providers Association Inc. (199? - 2006)
3. Industry Regulators and Agencies
- ACCC: the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission
- ACMA: the Australian Communications and Media Authority (since 1 July 2005)
- TIO: Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (since 1993)
- TUSMA: Telecommunications Universal Service Management Agency (since 1 July 2012)
- ABA: Australian Broadcasting Authority ( ? - 2005). Merged with ACA on 1 July 2005 to become ACMA.
- ACA: Australian Communications Authority (1997-2005), Replaced by ACMA.
- AUSTEL: Australian Telecommunications Regulator (1991-1997). Replaced by the ACCC and ACA.
4. Societies devoted to members of the telecommunications industry
TelSoc's antecedent societies – from the Electrical Telegraphy Society of Victoria (1874-1908) onwards – are placed in historical context in the History of TelSoc article on this website.